Sunday, November 25, 2012

My Black Chiffon Dress...

So, A while ago this month we had an event called the Renaissance Ball. It's a dance for minority groups, here at KSU along time ago the minorities couldn't participate in the college official homecoming. So, an organizations (B.U.S.-Black United Students) on campus decide to start this ball, which would represent homecoming for the minorities.



Well, that was along time ago, and we can be in the homecoming celebration. (Even though I always choose not to go.)

So, for the annual ball I decided to make my dress! It was a terrible experience and a satisfying one as well. I had made my dress out chiffon, and I'm not sure what the fabric I used at the bottom. (My roommate give it to me) I just know it was a knit (maybe double knit), because it had to side but you couldn't see the other side but it was also see through....I know very confusing.

What I used...

  1. Yard of chiffon
  2. 1/2 yard of the other fabric
  3. Elastic band
  4. Sewing machine :)

How I made it...
  • Measure my toe to belly button, then my hip and waist.
  • Marked it on the fabric...it came out to be all most like a trapezoid.
  • Then I add 2 1/2" on the waist edge, 1/2 " on all the other edges, and I cut two piece outta of the chiffon
  • Sewed the side seams
  • Then I folded down the waist edge and folded that edge a 1/2" again and sewed, left out a piece to put in the elastic in the waistband. Sewed closed.
  • On 1 side seam I open it up to a high split,
  • Then got the other fabric sewed it to the edge of the chiffon a the bottom 
  • Finished the hem.
This is the outcome....

I know you see there a little top part, but my roommate decided to add that last minute, so I really don't know how she did it. It's basic like a saggy front halter top with the back out, and she sewed a strip of the other fabric on one side. 




No comments:

Post a Comment