Friday, November 23, 2012

Fashion Classes: Flat Pattern

Well, one of the main classes, I tried to prepare for over the summer break before school started this Fall 2012 was Flat pattern. For those that do not know flat pattern-making is the basic shade of the garment in the measurement to fit a form.

(These are some pattern piece to give you a visual, and if your into fashion you understand theses piece are pattern pieces use to cut you fabric outta of and how to sew it together.)

Well, it's one of my require classes to take in the fall or spring semester.
Basic things you learn:

  • How to make the basic slopers (pattern piece) shirt (front & back) , skirt (front & back) , sleeve, and pants (front & back)
  • Take the basic slopers and manipulate them, to come up with different type of pattern, that would change the fabric design when you cut the out and sew it. 
  • How to come up with your own design and make the pattern design from your flat or design. (Fashion Flat- 2D image of the garment with complete detail.) 
  • Fit garments to the form.
  • How to contour. 
Now, My opinion on the class....
  • It can be very overwhelming at first. 
  • It's a wonderful class, it taught me a lot. It taught me things I would never look into by myself.
  • It's a hard class, it's a lot of math and thinking. If even the littlest thing is off, it can cause problem in making the pattern or sewing the garment when you have cut it from the pattern. So, you should never overlook things.
  • It's very time consuming....but worth it when you see your finally product. 

I personally dropped the classes, because in the end I didn't get the grades I wanted and decide it would be better to redo, now that it's not so over whelming. I can not wait for Fall 2013! I'm going to pass with flying colors!! 

Here's some of the things, I made in the class with the patterns. Also in another post I will do a video showing how to do a pattern, and manipulated it from fashion industry measurements. :)

The book we used.....

No comments:

Post a Comment